Impact partner profile
Water & Sanitation for the Urban Poor
WSUP helps transform cities to benefit the millions who lack access to water and sanitation
Water & Sanitation for the Urban Poor (WSUP) is a non-for-profit company that helps to transform cities for millions who lack access to water and sanitation.
WSUP began in 2005 as a response to the urban explosion that left many cities unable to provide basic services to low income communities, such as access to toilets or drinking water. Their team works alongside local providers, enabling them to develop services, build infrastructure, and attract funding so that they can reach these communities.
To ensure that their services will exist long-term and reach as many people as possible, WSUP has a strong focus on financial viability. This means working with utilities and businesses to help build services that will generate revenue. During this process WSUP aim to reach the most vulnerable urban residents and advise regulators and governments on how to create an environment that enables businesses to succeed.
WSUP operates in seven countries within sub-Saharan Africa and Asia and is supported by an office in the UK. As the urban specialist in water and sanitation, they are committed to sharing evidence and learnings from their approach to ensure their innovations enable change around the world.
Since their inception in 2005, WSUP have helped over 20 million people with improved access to water, sanitation, and hygiene services.
Type of grant funding given
Core impact goals
WSUP aim to integrate water, sanitation and hygiene services within wider urban development to make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
Strengthen and expand
A core goal for WSUP is to strengthen and expand their technical and business support to utilities, municipalities and water and sanitation enterprises.
Seek out and build partnerships
WSUP will seek out and build partnerships to accelerate urban water, sanitation and hygiene provision at scale.
WSUP aim to drive transformation within the urban water, sanitation and hygiene sector through rigorous research, data-driven learning, dissemination and influencing.
Increase scale and impact
WSUP plan to implement a considered strategy of geographical expansion, to increase their scale and impact.
WSUP aims to reach the following impact milestones over the course of Thankyou’s grant period (12 months):
1. Reach 2 million low-income and under-served urban dwellers who lack access to safe, affordable WASH services
2. Build the technical, business, and operational capacity and capabilities of urban WASH service providers in targeted cities across WSUP country programs
3. Strengthen the enabling environment for urban WASH across WSUP country programs
4. Mobilise $25 million to influence and improve the targeting and effectiveness of major investment to serve significantly more of the urban poor
5. Build the evidence base available to in-country actors, including national and city governments; to major international donors and financing institutions; and to WSUP programs
6. Develop the skills needed to deliver the substantial growth envisioned in the 2020-2025 Business Plan
Find out more