Raising The Village (RTV) is on a mission to end ultra-poverty in our lifetime. To do so, RTV partners with last-mile communities in rural Uganda to address ultra-poverty with a holistic, data-informed, and sustainable model that secures basic needs, raises household income and fosters community development.
Through a 24-month program, Raising The Village addresses multidimensional poverty by enabling partner households to increase their incomes through participation in agriculture and entrepreneurship.
1. Driving Income - by increasing agricultural productivity
- Work with last-mile communities through training on Good Agronomic Practices, providing quality seeds and tools, forming local cooperatives and committees to build capacity and local support, facilitating group marketing and ensuring sustainability.
2. Enabling Participation - by addressing barriers and creating opportunities
- Address the barriers to development to unlock time and resources; this includes: providing sustainable food sources, constructing and improving water sources, promoting good hygiene and sanitation practices and creating health awareness.
- Formation of cooperatives, including Village Savings and Loan Associations and providing Financial Literacy Training as part of Healthy Household Training, ensuring communities can access resources and affordable credit for agriculture, livestock, and small businesses.
3. Ensuring Sustainability - by building local capacity and structures
- Establishing local support structures for agriculture, livestock, water and other initiatives.
- Training and utilizing local community members and government extension workers for program delivery.
- Enabling communities to self-organize, identify opportunities, and implement development initiatives that contribute to incomes and local infrastructure and improve quality of life.
The program empowers communities to improve economic resilience. It enables all households—including women, youth, and the lowest income earners—to address immediate and long-term challenges so that they can build a stronger, more resilient future.
Since its inception, RTV has reached 812,216 people across 1,306 villages in rural Uganda, including over 225,000 people in 2022 alone. Through innovative technology and advanced data analytics, RTV has driven impact and sustainability by transforming how data is integrated into real-time programmatic decision-making. In doing so, RTV has seen a one-time investment of $100 per household return, an average cumulative ROI of 541% at Month 24 and an incredible 1799% at Month 60.